1-1½ cups sliced, pitted (and peeled if required) fruit OR 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, OR 2-4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate or any combination of any of the above or anything else you can dream up *
¾ cup cake or pastry flour
¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch of fine salt
½ cup superfine sugar plus more for sprinkling over fruit and cake
¼ cup milk mixed with ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
*use soft fruit like berries, peaches, plums, apricots, cherries, grapes
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Cover the bottom of a 10" springform pan with parchment paper, oil and lightly flour.
2. Peel and slice fruit (neatness doesn't count) and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar
3. combine flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Beat the egg with ½ cup superfine sugar for at least 5 minutes or until light and fluffy
add the cocoa if you're using it and mix until smooth.
5. Beat in the extra virgin and stir in the milk with balsamico to combine.
6. Fold in the flour mixture and pour into the prepared springform pan.
7. Drop the sliced fruit over the batter and sprinkle with a tablespoon or two of sugar. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until cake tests done.
More Recipes in DOLCI
Share this article